Being a kid that didn’t like vegetables, I never thought that I’d be eating anything like this…
Yes, it’s one of the most potent foods on the planet. And yes, it has health benefits that are truly mind blowing.
But seriously speaking, eating an algae is just kind of weird, right?
Well, maybe it is weird until you realize that spirulina has the highest protein content, gram for gram, of any food on the planet.
Some of the longest lived civilizations in human history, like the Aztecs of Mexico City utilized spirulina as the #1 source of protein to fortify their health and nutrition.
This food is so amazing, and so nutrient dense, that the U.N. has recommended that spirulina be used as a food source to fight malnutrition. White rice… it’s over baby!
Just check out this list of the must have benefits of spirulina.
1. Super-rich in vitamins. Spirulina is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, E, and K. Vitamin A is really important here because it has been specifically correlated with longer lifespan. The more safe, usable vitamin A you have in your system, the longer you’re likely to live. Now if that isn’t a must have quality, I don’t know what is.
Spirulina has the enzymes, phytonutrients, and cofactors so that your body can actually absorb it and use it intelligently. Man-made, artificial “multi-vitamins” are not a complete food in any sense, and a great deal of it will not be useable by your body. And to make matters worse, it will likely set off an immune response as well.
This is why it’s important to get your vitamins from real, whole foods that have a strong history of safe use. Don’t volunteer yourself as an experiment for multivitamin companies.
2. Protein powerhouse. As mentioned, spirulina has the highest concentration of protein of any known food. It’s 65 – 71 percent protein by weight. The key is that it’s a complete protein (meaning that it contains all 8 essential amino acids necessary for human health) and it has 18 amino acids overall.
Protein is an extreme necessity in our world today. Amino acids have roles in cell metabolism, detoxification, tissue regeneration, repair, and more. Amino acids influence the function of your nervous system, cardiovascular system, hormones, and muscle. Truly, nothing in your body runs without an ample supply of real amino acids. WIth spirulina you get true, undamaged aminos (not like the degraded, heat treated stuff you get in typical supplements). If you know the importance of protein, then spirulina is a must have food for you.
3. Superhuman regeneration. Spirulina contains an extraordinary antioxidant/polypeptide called phycocyanin. Please don’t let the fancy word get you off track. Basically, phycocyanin is a blue pigment of color found in spirulina that has some really remarkable characteristics.
To keep this simple and to the point, scientist have discovered that phycocyanin has the ability to trigger the production of stem cells. What does this mean? Well, I’m glad you asked… Stems cells literally have the ability to become any cells that your body needs. Need more blood cells? Fine, here you go. More immune cells? More muscle cells? More cells to repair damaged ligaments? If your body is producing more of these stem cells, then you have the continuous possibility of being rebuilt. How cool is that?
4. Body fat & weight loss. Nutrient deficiency is typically the #1 cause of overeating. Your body requires nutrients like zinc, magnesium, and essential fatty acids like GLA (all found in spirulina by the). Your body secretes the hunger hormone gherlin to get you to bring in some nutrient dense food to get those things, but instead… in comes a bagel.
Temporary solution: you’re not hungry anymore. Problem: you’re hungry again after about an hour because your body didn’t get what it needed. Because of this, the gherlin gremlin stays in charge of your appetite.
By eating amazingly nutrient dense foods like spirulina, you’re giving your body the raw materials it needs to keep you healthy and trigger the secretion of the satiety hormone leptin to helps keep your appetite in check. You feel good, stop craving low quality food, and your body begins to burn more body fat naturally. I’d say it’s an epic win-win situation for you there.
5. Anti-viral, anti-cancer, and anti-aging effects. In peer reviewed scientific studies, compounds in spirulina were found to inhibit HIV-1 replication in human derived T-cells and in human blood mononuclear cells. This is truly remarkable to say the least.
Numerous studies have also found that spirulina causes anti-cancer (NK) cells to become more effective at destroying cancer cells. In one US study, spirulina extracts were found to reduce oral cancer cells. A beta-carotene solution applied to cancerous tumors reduced the number and size of tumors or caused them to disappear. Say what?!!
And to top it all off, spirulina is incredibly rich in antioxidants that protect against DNA damage and the premature aging of your cells.
With these 5 benefits, now you understand why spirulina is such an important food for you everyday.
Because the quality really matters here, you want to make sure that you’re getting your spirulina from an ethical source that doesn’t over-process or damage the delicate compounds in any way. You can waste your time and money on substandard spirulina, but you’ll be missing out on the real benefits it can give you.
My go-to for spirulina is Perfect Spirulina from Perfect Supplements. The quality is incredible, and they’re one of the rare companies that will actually show you a certificate of analysis. They are a very ethical and transparent company, and I know you’ll be extremely happy with the spirulina you get from them.
Now, as for how to use spirulina, it’s much more fun and delicious than you may think. Some people like to toss it in their smoothies… but me, I actually like my smoothies to taste good, so I don’t typically put it in there
I like to add it to savory dishes, and some other little tricks I have up my sleeve. To encourage you to support your health and become the greatest version of yourself, after you get yourself some Perfect Spirulina from the banner below, just forward me your receipt and I’ll give you a free copy of my mini Spirulina Superfood Recipe Book. How’s that sound?
Just forward your receipt to email@example.com and tell me what email address to send it to. This is the one superfood that I’ve had consistently, nearly everyday for the past 5 years. I truly love the benefits that it gives me, and I know you will too.