Today, more than ever, we are mistaking being busy for being effective. Great work is more valuable than ever today. Whether it’s work related to health and fitness, real estate, tech, art, or any other field, the quantity today is massive. But quality is what we truly desire.
For those willing to engage in deep work (the topic of which we’ll be dissecting today), the potential upside is limitless. Through deep work, you’ll be able to experience better financial health, relationship health, physical health, and more. But, be aware, there are treacherous obstacles looming. You’ll have to make some mental shifts in order to avoid the booby traps of distraction that have a chokehold on most of the folks in our society. The tips and insights you’ll learn from today’s guest, Cal Newport, will be absolutely life-changing. Click play, listen deeply, and enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How the average human lifespan is shortened, not by health issues, but by distraction.
- Why there is a huge deficiency in the ability to focus today.
- Which nootropic is clinically proven to boost memory and focus.
- What deep work actually means.
- How the modern workplace has become a hotbed for shallow work.
- How deep work enables you to learn complicated things quickly.
- Why social media is allowing a small percentage of people to become wealthy while making the vast majority less productive.
- Why Mark Zuckerberg might be trolling Cal Newport.
- Some of the different ways that humans learn.
- What attention residue is.
- How brains can be out of shape and why they need to be exercised like muscles.
- Why convenience and deep productivity are at odds with each other.
- How to break through the Principle of Least Resistance.
- Why your worldview is dictated by what you pay attention to.
- Why there are cultural and neurological obstacles to Deep Work.
- How our brains get chemically addicted to social media.
- What the different deep work philosophies are.
- The 3 essential steps to help you move into deep work faster.
- Why you need to better manage your mental energy to take full advantage of your deep work.
- How learning to be bored can actually make you more successful.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- How Job Burnout Impacts Your Health – With Chris Ducker – Episode 271
- The Hacking Of The American Mind – With Dr. Robert Lustig – Episode 240
- Deep Work by Cal Newport ⇐ Get the book right here!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!