Things are going to happen. Good stuff, not-so-good-stuff… life can be a dance between the two. But, as the research shows, it’s not so much what happens to us, but how we respond to what happens to us that determines the quality of our lives.
When it comes to our health and fitness, millions of people each year raise the white flag and give up on their goals to have something greater because of something they may have never even heard about before. They give up because of their lack of emotional agility.
When you are taking action to change your body and your health, challenges will arise. As much as I don’t want to say this, it’s just part of the process! You are becoming someone you have never met before, so that process will come with a learning curve and relationship adjustments that only emotional agility can enable you to traverse.
Today we have one of the world’s foremost experts on emotional agility here for you to learn from Dr. Susan David literally wrote the book on Emotional Agility, and what she’s sharing with you today will undoubtedly change your life from this day forward if you take action on it.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How thinking positive can be at odds with what truly helps people thrive.
- How our thoughts, actions, and stories can cause us to act incongruent with our values.
- What it means to go from rigidity to agility.
- What it means to be “hooked” and how this controls our thoughts and actions.
- How the same thought patterns that keep us safe can also keep us from success.
- What premature cognitive commitment is (you probably do this a lot!).
- What the difference is between thinking fast and thinking slow.
- What the 4 most common emotional hooks are (this is powerful!).
- How thought-blaming can disempower you.
- Why it’s helpful to move to the edge of what we’re comfortable with.
- How our need to be right can lead us to outcomes that don’t serve us.
- Why negative emotions are so valuable versus a hyper-focus on happiness.
- What the 4 essential movements are for gaining more emotional agility.
- What it means to “show up” when it comes to emotional agility.
- How to rise above our emotions and not be controlled by them.
- The critical difference between a “have to goal” and “want to goal”.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Formula O2 ⇐ Pick up the 5-star oxygenated sports drink right here!
- Proven Benefits Of Expressive Writing – The Model Health Show
- susandavid.com/learn ⇐ Take the free emotional agility quiz right here!
- Emotional Agility by Susan David, Ph.D.
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!