We live in times of great convenience and luxury. Even if you are working for minimum wage in our country, you’ll often have an automobile or access to public transportation that requires very little of your own energy to get around. Most of the people in modern society have very sedentary lifestyles PLUS we spend an average of 10 to 15 hours a day sitting in our cars, at our desk, watching t.v. and browsing on the internet.
Has all of this convenience compromised our health and beauty? Recent studies show the results to be a resounding YES!
The #1 key to solving any problem is being aware that the problem exists in the first place. As I like to say, “consciousness trumps everything.” So now we can begin to focus on the solution.
Most experts (including yours truly) encourage the application of vigorous exercise several times a week in order to have your body in immaculate shape. What I have found, however, is that it’s the little things that make the biggest difference. It’s about having intelligent strategies to leverage the small things that actually add up to getting the BIG results.
NEAT stands for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. This is the energy we expend each day for everything that is not sleeping, eating, or sports-like activities. We are specifically talking about the non-exercise activities that we would normally perform on a daily basis.
Things like walking to your job from your car, washing dishes, doing yard work, playing with your kids, these are all things that increase your NEAT Increasing your NEAT time each day is the key to burning an extra 1,500 to 2,400 calories a day!
In his book Move a Little, Lose a Lot, endocrinologist James Levine is showing that people are being robbed of burning thousands of extra calories each day because they are unaware of the power of utilizing their NEAT.
Are you a victim of the “sitting disease”? The only way that you can suppress your body’s natural thermogenesis (calorie-burning capability) is to sit all day. Your body literally burns calories for a living, and it’s very good at it’s job. The issue is that you can not incite your body’s full capacity to burn calories if you are sitting for too long. Extended inactivity is actually a depressant for thermogenesis and for your brain.
Use these excellent tactics to increase your NEAT time each day and avoid the “sitting disease” forever!
- Walk around your house while you’re on phone calls (it’s even better to walk around outside!)
- If you have a meeting with your partner or work associate, do it while walking (and your brain will work better too).
- Make it a mandate to use the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator (this can get you an extra 50 to 100 calories burned on average each day).
- Bounce on your rebounder while watching your favorite show (This can burn THOUSANDS of extra calories each week! This is borderline being a NEAT tactic, but I do it all the time while listening to audio books. Here’s more info on rebounding for you: Teach Your Body To Burn More Fat)
- Take quick 10 minute walks every 2 hours of your workday to refresh your mind and boost your metabolism.
- Walk to drop mail at the post office or mail box.
- Consider using one of the stand up desks that are becoming extremely popular right now.
- Record your study materials or research information on your iPod, then play it for yourself while taking a 1 hour walk (this is a POWERFUL way of learning and integrating the information into your body)
- Wash your dishes by hand, rather than using the dish washer (I never trusted the dishwasher anyways).
Honestly, I couldn’t even finish this article without taking a 20 minute walk. I just got back and I feel refreshed, invigorated, and ready to accomplish great things today! I feel more excited to serve you, and it’s my honor to be able to share this information with you.
Personally, I do most of my phone interviews while walking around in my back yard. The fresh air and the ability to get grounded always provides the best conditions for me to deliver a powerful message. I also take 10 minute breaks every 2 hours of working to walk around, stretch and have some water (you can utilize these too).
It all boils down to one thing: If you don’t use it, you lose it. So take action now on upping your NEAT time each day. Our bodies are made for movement, and if we don’t take advantage of them with these smart strategies, we’ll find ourselves not bringing our best to the things that matter most in life: family, career, creativity, and our ability to contribute.
By adding in these NEAT activities, and utilizing a cutting-edge exercise plan (like the one found in The Fat Loss Code) you are guaranteeing yourself great success and setting yourself up for unstoppable results.
Do you have special NEAT techniques that you are already using? Or are you already doing some of these NEAT techniques and didn’t even know about it? Leave me a comment below and let me know.