Eating isn’t as simple as consuming calories for energy. With the advent of frozen dinners and drive-thrus, we’ve lost sight of the importance of proper nutrition, and how what you eat can influence your health long-term.
Food is information, medicine, and nourishment. The quality of food you put in your body literally affects everything—from the way you feel and look, to how you perform. Science now shows that what we choose to eat ultimately influences the expression of our genes.
By understanding how to properly fuel our bodies, we can not only transform our health, but also the health of future generations. On this episode, Dr. Cate Shanahan is back to share her in-depth research (yet simple philosophy) on the optimal human diet. Her influential work has transformed the way I think about nutrition, and I know it will inspire you to implement positive changes in your life.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why new science takes time to infiltrate into traditional wisdom.
- What it means to eat in alignment with what your genes are expecting.
- How the food we eat can actually influence the expression of our genes.
- The definition of epigenetics, and how it can effect human growth.
- Two of the most toxic substances that can negatively influence gene function.
- How family planning has changed over time, and how it can affect brain development.
- The impact of nutritional deficiencies on a woman’s body during pregnancy.
- The disruptive effects of sugar consumption on hormones.
- Why you should know (and understand) your fasting blood sugar levels.
- The amount of sugar in the body’s bloodstream (and how to keep your system in check!)
- Which health condition is a precursor to diabetes.
- How gestational diabetes can affect a child’s weight long-term.
- The science behind how the collagen you eat bonds with damaged collagen in the body.
- How consuming bone broth can mimic the effects of Botox.
- A powerful testimony of how Kobe Bryant used bone broth to recover in record time.
- The implications of collagen consumption on beauty.
- What the phi ratio is (and how it relates to attractiveness!)
- The surprising links between vegetable oils and sugar cravings.
- What the three C’s and three S’s are, and why you should avoid them at all costs.
- The guiding principle you can use to determine whether or not an oil is healthy.
- Why our cells can’t properly use processed vegetable oils (and the scary consequences).
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Organifi.com/model ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off!
- Thrivemarket.com/modelhealth ⇐ 25% off your entire 1st order + free shipping!
- Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan, MD
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price, DDS
- The Human Diet and How to Get Deep Nutrition with Dr. Cate Shanahan – Episode 194
- Connect with Dr. Cate Shanahan Website / Books
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!