There are a lot of different ways to look at strength. The typical definition revolves around a capacity for exertion or endurance. You can see strength on the field, strength in the gym, and strength on the track in its various forms. But, there’s another definition of strength that is often overlooked. It’s the ability to resist force. Strength isn’t just exerting your force on the world, it’s also being strong enough to handle it when the world’s exerting its for on you. And that’s why you need to build other muscles besides the ones that make you look good in a T-shirt. That’s why I called in Jay Ferruggia.
Jay knows a thing or 500 about building muscles and getting stronger. Today, he’s going to talk to you about progressive overload and other crucial things to help you keep getting fitter as the years roll on.
More importantly, Jay is going to drop some serious knowledge on building your relationship muscles, and how to ensure that you’re strong enough to handle it when the world decides to drop a flying elbow on you (cue Rick Flair hollering, “Woooooo!” right here). Your relationships (with yourself and others) is the real key to lasting health and success. Today, you’ll uncover some hidden gems that are going to help you stay happy, healthy, and successful long into the future. It begins now, in the present, with the one and only Jay Ferruggia.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why the internet can be a strange and scary self-diagnosis machine.
- How 80’s icons influenced Jay to go from a skinny-fat kid to musclebound beast.
- Whether or not 3 days of training can get you better results than 6 days of training.
- How Jay’s training has evolved over the years.
- Why we might want to place a higher value on being functional and not just having nice muscles.
- What progressive overload is and how it can help you improve for Years to come.
- How to make slight adjustments to your lifts to keep you progressing.
- How an injury forced me to stop overlooking things I know I was putting off.
- Why women have certain advantages in weightlifting compared to men.
- Why changing your body doesn’t change who you are by itself.
- Why giving compliments and encouraging others is like doing reps for your character.
- A simple tip to make sure you maintain a healthy social life.
- How building and supporting community can create great benefits for your health and well-being.
- How to use visualization to improve your relationships.
- The top 5 MCs of all-time (facts only!).
- Easy things to implement in your day to ensure better health and success.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Thrive Market Exclusive – 25% off your entire 1st order + free shipping!
- How To Create Healthy Habits For A Lifetime – Episode 141
- The Science Of Willpower – With Jay Papasan – Episode 168
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!