One of my favorite definitions of the word diet is “habitual nourishment”. We can unknowingly develop tunnel vision and think that food is our only source of nourishment. True, food is a huge part, but our diet consists of far more than what we are putting in our bodies.
Our movement practices, our exposure to healthy environments (with adequate fresh air and sunlight), the influence from the relationships in our lives, and several other factors play a key role in our habitual nourishment. To attain true, sustainable health as a human being, all of these areas need to be addressed intelligently. And no one knows that better than today’s guest, Dr. Kelly Starrett.
Kelly is a doctor of physical therapy, world-class coach, thought leader, and New York Times bestselling author. He’s having a tremendous impact in our world by being an advocate for a culture of movement. The way we move can tell a lot about us as an individual, and the improvement in our movement diet can directly enhance every area of our lives. On today’s episode, we’ll be covering some of the crucial components of a healthy movement diet, plus important insights to help us recover from injuries faster and, more importantly, prevent them in the first place.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why you generally don’t see wild animals pulling a hammy.
- How we tend identify the best athlete in the room.
- Why movement is skill-based.
- Why humans are extraordinary at compensation.
- What posture really means.
- What the central governor is.
- Where the word mobility comes from and what it entails.
- Why practice does NOT make perfect.
- What it means to have a physical practice.
- How changes in your environment can sensitize your tissues.
- Predictive lifestyle factors for increased risk of injury.
- Why competitive sports can teach you valuable lessons about yourself.
- What SI joint issues can indicate (and how to address it).
- Why your brain protects your spine so ruthlessly.
- What your movement diet is.
- What mechanotransduction is.
- The minimum effective dose of therapeutic walking you need to target each day.
- Movement tips that will enable you to reduce the amount of time you have to “warm up”.
- The best time to party and eat ice cream (this is an incredible insight!).
- A checklist of fundamental skills you should be able to perform as a human.
- How to avoid having tech neck in our technology-based society.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Thrive Market Exclusive – 25% off your entire 1st order + free shipping!
- Get Your Body Organized – With Kelly Starrett – Episode 79
- Becoming A Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett
- 27 Squats Test
- How To Move Your DNA – With Katy Bowman – Episode 122
- Sleep Smarter
- The Ready State Podcast
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!