For many of us, we believe that our past = our future. We often carry a subconscious belief that no matter what we do, things will always be just more of the same.
Even as we grow older, there’s a tendency to replay just slightly different versions of the same year over and over again. But, as Robin Sharma said, we want to catch ourselves in the act of this craziness and, “don’t live the same year 75 times and call it a life.”
So, how do we actually break the mold and change the course and direction of our lives if we want to? How do we change our experience of life as a whole, and live a life of more health, happiness, and fulfillment? Well, as you’ll discover today, it all intrinsically happens when you alter what’s happening inside of you, not outside of you. When you learn how to alter your traits, you learn how to live an altered reality.
You may have lived your life as a victim for some time. You might have felt weak and incapable in a life with so many burdens and obstacles. But by altering your traits, you can (from the inside out) live life with more strength, power, and perseverance than you could’ve ever dreamed possible. That’s because it was the old you who was doing the dreaming, and not the upgraded version of yourself who’s ready and waiting dormant inside each and every cell in your body.
Now the questions is: how to we actually develop altered traits? For that, I’d like to introduce you to world renowned psychologist and New York Times bestselling author Dr. Daniel Goleman.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The difference between genetic traits and personality traits.
- How our environment can change our traits.
- How meditation can influence heart health.
- What emotional intelligence really means.
- Which capacity reigns supreme in IQ versus EQ.
- Whether or not you’re emotional intelligence can be changed.
- What it means to have cognitive control.
- What mirror neurons are and how they were accidentally discovered.
- How conventional psychology can fall short in helping people to be healthy and happy.
- Why meditation is like going to the gym for your brain.
- What it means to have wholesome traits of being.
- How having a sense of purpose influences your health and well-being.
- What mindfulness is.
- How multitasking affects our performance.
- The type of meditation that grows your level of compassion.
- The 3 kinds of empathy.
- How “olympic level meditators” have brains that are different from the average person.
- What an amygdala hijack is and why we need to better manage our amygdala today.
- How meditation influences brain aging.
- What some of the proven, valuable benefits of meditation are.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Thrive Market Exclusive – 25% off your entire 1st order + free shipping!
- Organifi.com ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off
- Stop Postponing Happiness – With Lisa Nichols – Episode 234
- Daniel Goleman – “Social Intelligence” | Talks at Google
- Shawn Stevenson – “Sleep Smarter” | Talks at Google
- The Telomere Effect – With Dr. Elissa Epel – Episode 205
- Altered Traits Book / Audiobook ⇐ Get the new book here!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!