Every choice we make in life instantly has two outcomes.
Every time you say yes to something, you are inherently saying no to something else. And every time you say no to something, you are automatically saying yes to something else.
For example, when you say yes to eating healthy food, then you are saying no to eating deep-fried Twinkies by default. That cream-stuffed heart attack may be attractive, but one yes decision accomplishes both in one fell swoop.
That example is for a positive outcome. But in a negative context, saying yes to a job that you can’t stand (and not opening yourself up to another one), is saying no to a career that you could really enjoy, automatically. You can have anything, but you can’t have everything. And your no’s and yes’s are the priceless currency of your life.
According to bestselling author James Altucher, The Power of No is one of the least utilized keys to a healthy and happy life. When you say “NO” to the things that you don’t want, then you actually make room for the things in life that you do want. Often times we can’t take advantage of (or even recognize) the biggest opportunities in our lives if we’re busy doing things that we don’t want to do.
On a level of health and wellness, that soul-sucking behavior of saying yes (even when you know good and well you shouldn’t be doing it) increases stress hormones, reduces activity in the parts of your brain associated with creativity and happiness, and even increases behaviors like emotional eating (because your biology is trying to find some relief from the jam you’ve gotten yourself into).
It’s true that there are rites of passage in life, and there are times when you have to suck-it-up and do things that you might not want to do (like going to the DMV to get your tags renewed – I think I would rather be forced to cook bacon in the nude. And bacon grease can be so unfriendly!). But those short-term choices need to be leading you to long-term rewards you want. The problem is that a lot of times we say yes to things, we get stuck saying yes, and never devise ourselves an exit plan.
The solution is to become more aware of the power of no, and to use it consciously to move your life forward. You’ve got a finite time here to enjoy life and make the most of yourself, and that’s why I’m so excited to share today’s episode with you!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How James amassed a fortune building websites for iconic entertainment companies.
- How James lost all of his fortune (and more) because of what he calls “the disease”.
- Why it’s a big mistake to think that you’re ever done (or that you’ve “made it”).
- Why money is a side effect of something more important.
- How self-honesty can be the key to having the health, happiness, and life you want.
- Why you need to exercise your idea muscle daily.
- What Twinkies have to do with finding your purpose.
- How the power of “NO” can revolutionize your life.
- Why rejection is a normal, valuable part of life.
- Why playing is such an important part of success.
- How to become an idea machine.
- Why you need to love yourself like your life depends on it.
- Why putting a priority on your own health and happiness is one of the most unselfish things you can ever do.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Organifi.com ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off
- The Power of No by James Altucher
- Choose Yourself by James Altucher
- Reinvent Yourself by James Altucher
- The James Altucher Show iTunes / Stitcher / Website
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!